Water Safety Indoors
The home environment has many hidden drowning hazards for children. Drowning deaths can occur not only in pools and spas, but in bathtubs, toilets, washing machines and buckets.
Keep these safety tips in mind to make your home safer from these hidden hazards.
- Always stay within an arm’s reach of your child when he or she is in or near pools, spas, bathtubs, toilets or buckets.
- Keep doors to bathrooms and laundry rooms closed.
- Empty all buckets, containers and wading pools immediately after use. Store them upside-down and out of children’s reach.
- Keep toilet lids closed and use toilet seat locks.
- Close top loading washing machines.
- Never leave your child unattended in the bath or around any other body of water, even if he or she knows how to swim.
- Never leave your child alone or in the care of older children during bath time.