What are the current Australian Standards for playgrounds?
Australian Standards for Playgrounds
Listed below are the current Australian Standards for Playgrounds and Playground Equipment. Kidsafe NSW provides information and interpretation of the Standards.
- Australian Standard AS 4685 Playground equipment and surfacing
Part 0 – Development, installation, inspection, maintenance and operation
Part 1 – General safety requirements & test methods
Part 2 – Additional specific safety requirements & test methods for swings
Part 3 - Additional specific safety requirements & test methods for slides
Part 4 - Additional specific safety requirements & test methods for runways
Part 5 - Additional specific requirements & test methods for carousels
Part 6 - Additional specific requirements & test methods for rocking equipment
Part 11 - Additional specific safety requirements & test methods for spatial networks
- Australian Standard AS 4422: Playground surfacing - Specifications, requirements and test method
- Australian Standard AS 1428: Design for access and mobility
Part 1 - General requirements for access - New building work
Part 2 - Enhanced and additional requirements - Building and facilities
Part 3 - Requirements for children and adolescents with physical disabilities
Part 4 - Means to assist the orientation of people with vision impairment – Tactile ground surface indicators
Part 5 - Communication for people who are deaf or hearing impaired
- Australian and New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 8124 Part 6 (ISO 8124-4:2014, MOD) Safety of toys - Swings, slides and similar activity toys for indoor and outdoor family domestic use
- Australian and New Zealand Standard AS/NZS ISO 31000: Risk management - Principles and guidelines;
- Australian Standard AS 4989: Trampolines for domestic use - Safety aspects
- Australian Standard AS 3533.4.2: Amusement rides and devices. Part 4.2: Specific requirements-Contained play facilities.